Office Telephone and 24-hour Voicemail: (209) 948-9592

Question #Answer
I started a Teamsters 439 job. When do I join the Union?You must join the Union within 30 days of your first day of employment. If you are a former Teamster, you must immediately deposit your withdrawal card or transfer in within 7 days. This will ensure you become or remain a member in good standing, Please contact the office staff to make arrangements for completing your application by mail or online. Walk-ins may not be available during COVID-19 restrictions., so it is advisable to call ahead of visiting the office.
Do I have to pay the initiation and start-up fees right away?You can make arrangements to pay your start-up fees in weekly or bi-weekly installments. We also accept credit card payments, and many employers participate in automatic payroll deductions of dues and fees. Contact the office for options that are available to you.
I have a work issue or grievance and need to talk to someone.Most worksites have a Job Steward (a co-worker who also works in your bargaining unit and has training on filing a grievance and understanding your contract). Your contract outlines the rules and grievance procedure, and your Job Steward can assist you in completing the form and taking the appropriate action. There are time limits according to your contract so be sure to take quick action. If your Job Steward is not available and you believe your time limit is critical, immediately call the Local 439 Office to speak to your Union Representative.
I stopped working at my Teamster job, and I need to stop my union dues.You must immediately contact the Union and request a Withdrawal card, which will stop your dues and essentially freeze your membership. If you have paid up your initiation fees and your dues are current, you simply have to complete and sign the form. When you return to work as a Teamster, you will only need to deposit your withdrawal card and restart dues for the current month you return. Once you pay Teamsters initiation fees in full, you will not need to pay it again; so, be sure to keep your membership in good standing.
I fell behind in dues and now I received a suspension letter.If you work for a bargaining unit represented by Teamsters Local 439, your employer and the union have an agreement that as a condition of employment, you must become and remain a member in good standing with the Union. There is often a provision in your contract that explains your obligation to pay dues and join the Union, or pay a fair share fee (public employees), depending on your contract. When the Union fights for you at the bargaining table to set and improve your wages, benefits, job protections, work standards, and more; the Union is representing all employees in the bargaining unit. The Union represents all employees on matters covered under the contract, and takes action when a violation of the contract becomes known. Union dues pay for the administrative and representation costs of these services. The Union is required to enforce the contract, so if you are not paying dues, most contracts outlines the action it must take. If you are at any time three months in arrears of dues, you may be required to re-pay an initiation fee and/or late fees. Do not let your dues lapse. Immediately notify the Union to make payment arrangements and reinstate your good member status.
I am having problems with my Union health and welfare, or pension benefits. Who do I contact?If you are covered under a contract that contributes to the Western Conference of Teamsters Pension Fund or makes contributions on your behalf to a Teamsters-managed health and welfare benefit trust fund, please contact the administrator listed in your contract. Your contract should indicate when your coverage begins and the terms of eligibility. If you can not find the information or need assistances, please contact the Local 439 office staff who will assist you in identifying the benefit fund name and contact number to call. Benefits are not handled in the office, but we can assist you in reaching the appropriate office or fund that manages your benefits.
I have moved and need to update my address.Please contact the Local 439 Office staff to update your mailing address. Your employer will often provide the Union with a monthly update, but it is advisable to notify us right away. Also, you will need to notify your benefit fund office and when applicable, your 401K Fund administrator and the Western Conference of Teamsters.
I would like to check on my retirement plan that is managed by Western Conference of Teamsters Pension Fund. How do I proceed?You can directly contact the Western Conference of Teamsters Pension Fund, or you can contact the Local 439 Office staff to make an appointment with a representative who visits the office on a monthly basis. The representative can assist you in projecting your benefits, discussing your contributions, and confirming your eligibility dates. It is advisable to prepare at least three months before the month for which you plan to retire, so that you are able to meet with the representative and prepare the paperwork.
When are Union Meetings held?Typically, your worksite may hold monthly or quarterly meetings, depending on issues developing at the worksite or as it relates to contract bargaining activity. Additionally, the Local 439 Union holds monthly General Membership Meetings at the Union Hall in Stockton. However, meetings have been conducted virtually by Zoom or temporarily suspended in accordance with COVID-19 restrictions and guidelines. If you have an issue to address or would like to request a shop meeting, please reach out to your Job Steward or Union Representative. It is our desire to keep our staff and membership safe while actively managing the effects of COVID-19, and serving our membership and conducting essential Union business. We are available to address your concerns and needs, and have worked out alternative solutions to large, in-person meetings.